Name: Jose Garces
Cuisine: Latin Fusion
Background: Jose Garces, an American chef with rich, Ecuadorian heritage, began his cooking career at a young age in his grandmother’s kitchen. Growing up in Chicago, Garces spent years evolving his distinct cooking style working with some of the finest chefs in America and Spain.
In 2005, Jose opened the first of eight restaurants that would ultimately comprise the Garces Restaurant Group in Philadelphia and Chicago. With inspiring flavors spanning across Latin and American cuisines, his restaurants feature everything from fine dining to mobile Mexican street food.
In 2008, Garces challenged Iron Chef Bobby Flay and won in Kitchen Stadium, presenting the perfect opportunity to compete in The Next Iron Chef the following year. He would go on to become the sixth Iron Chef after defeating chef Jehangir Mehta in late 2009.
Personal Style: Garces is the owner and operator of a 40-acre farm in Bucks County, PA, where he grows the majority of the produce used at his Philadelphia restaurants. In addition to regular appearances on Iron Chef America, Garces’ credits include being featured on the Today Show and Nightline, as well as in Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, Bon Appetit, Travel & Leisure, Conde Nast Traveler, and Food & Wine.
- 2008: Defeated Iron Chef Bobby Flay in Battle: Melon
- 2009: James Beard Foundation Award for “Best Chef Mid-Atlantic”
- Amada, Andalusian tapas bar
- Tinto, a wine bar and restaurant inspired by the Basque region of Northern Spain and Southern France
- Distrito, a spirited celebration of the vibrant culture and cuisine of Mexico City
- Chifa, a Latin-Asian restaurant named after the Peruvian eateries of the same name
- Village Whiskey, a classic American bar with more than 80 whiskies and wolr-class bar snacks
- Garces Trading Company, a European-style cafe and gourmet market
- JG Domestic, an ingrediant-focused restaurant servicing artisanal American food and drink
- Guapos Tacos, a mobile truck serving modern Mexican street food
- Latin Evolution
- Baked Goods
- Gift Cards
- Gift Baskets & Boxes
Books by Chef Garces
Subscribe to [Iron Updates]